Monday, March 1, 2010

Nilisha- Final story (Draft 1)

A dead body was found on the Banaswadi Railway station in a trunk. The situation was scrutinized by a local inspector who found out that the body came across as no better than a filthy beggar.
The beggar (Kashyap) had died due to a fungal infection in his boil which was left unattended for three months. Apart from Bhatla Bhai and his chelas no one came to bury him. His neighbors dint knows him. No one knew him since he was always masked and hid his identity from every one. Bhatla Bhai was the only one who knew him for years. His neighbors say that they never saw the same person get into the house or get out of it. These were some reports, police got about him. For further investigation the inspector pleaded and met Bhatla Bhai in a shady dance bar. (Bhatla Bhai is a local mafia.)
Inspector- Bhatla Bhai, what would you prefer having? Desi or English eshtyle?
Bhatla Bhai- I prefer desi, daru ho ya… yeh chamiya. (Points at a dancer)
Inspector- isn’t she anuradha? kashyap’s mate?
Bhatla Bhai- yes may be..
(After a while) but I don’t know about his relationship with these dancers. All I know is he slept with a lot of them. Hahaha!( wicked laugh)
Inspector- * bloody bastard that he was. I have spoken to his neighbors and none of them knew him. They saw different people go in and come out of that house so they don’t know anything either. I don’t understand.
Bhatla Bhai- he was a very smart guy indeed.
Inspector- Bhatla ji, did you give him money to kidnap people?
Bhatla Bhai nods. Yes.
Inspector- here, can I pour you a drink?
Bhatla bhai- Kashyap worked for me sometimes, he had his own terms but he always did the work well.
Inspector- I don’t understand if he got good money in bigger projects from you why he ended up begging on the roads. This character is a little mysterious to me. Bhatla ji nothing about him is revealed to anyone, you understand what I am saying.
Bhatla Bhai- hmmm. (Nodding as to agree)
Inspector- I found masks, paints, hair brushes and weird things in his room. A lot of posters filled the walls and pizza leftovers crammed the floor. His bed sheet has a stench of the decayed life he had, which fills up the air. He never opened the windows as he was so accustomed to it.
Bhatla Bhai is only interested in his drink all this while, staring at the dancers and nods once in a while.
Inspector- no one seems to know the real him. I don’t understand why he hid his own self. He had gone insane. You are the only one who has known him so will you please...
Bhatla Bhai- Even I know him only as much as you have found out. He knew he was good at murders and could escape without leaving any clues for you. I called him for work; he did it quietly and got back to his begging. I think he liked that. He was born beggar and he simply enjoyed that. At least I think that.
Inspector- how did he die?
Bhatla Bhai- I got to know of his death when you called. The reason I know is that he had severe fungal infection for months.
Inspector- His body was found under mysterious circumstances on the railway station. The post mortem reports will make things better.
Bhatla Bhai- Arre! No need for so much pains taking. He only had infections which got worse and became the reason for his death.
Inspector- He was found in a trunk! (Loud) Tell me something more you would know.
Bhatla Bhai- ey! Am telling you more than required, keep shut and close the case as soon as possible if you care for your family. Kashyap has done a lot for me and that is all I know of him.
Inspector- yeah, do you want to have some chicken? (Calls out)Chotu chicken roast!
Bhatla Bhai turns around and stares at the dancers as the red light and smoke blur the room.

1 comment:

  1. Is this story complete? I feel dissatisfied cos you put me into a mystery and then you close it in my face. Take it deeper some place. I like the use of dialogue, the colloquialisms, etc. But check your story against the Freytag triangle and see if it is working. Go for the next draft.

    ReplyDelete