Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Jijo Final Story

It’s the third day since I am back from boarding school and the reason for my father’s death still haunts me. The obituary says he died due to an overdose of an unidentified intoxicant. I still can’t figure out what that unidentified intoxicant could be. The obituary kept repeating in my head

“John 44 passed away last evening at a farm house located in Barasat while attending his parent’s 50th anniversary due to an overdose of an unidentified intoxicant. Happy and cheerful as he always was in his last moments embraced death with a smile. May his soul rest in peace.”

Unidentified intoxicant????? What the hell is that? Mom told me he died of a heart attack, then why the hell are these people saying that he died due to an overdose of some intoxicant. The obituary has been bothering me since the time I read it; and why the hell did mom lie to me? When I confront her with this, she casually says “I didn’t want you to get worried sweetheart”. For Christ sake my father has died, isn’t that a good enough reason for me to get worried?

Things have changed drastically over the last three months with Allan. He doesn’t talk to me these days. He refuses to acknowledge my presence in the house. His friends have changed, he doesn’t have dinner with us and he prefers staying locked up in his room. I didn’t even see him shed a drop of tear at the funeral. He behaved as if he was attending an unknown person’s funeral.

I have to find out what the unidentified intoxicant was. After a lot of thinking I have decided to check out my dad’s study room. The room was pretty professionally organized. It had a table in the center with a computer, a phone and a pen stand on it .On the right side of the table was a bookshelf and the other side was a cupboard where he kept all his important documents. I walked up to his table and decided to check the drawers. The drawers were all open which was a little surprising. I looked inside the drawers and found one thing in common that all the files inside had a weird white powder on it. Then I looked at the table and I found my dad’s credit card lying on it and the card had the same white powder on it with one side eroded. I decided to take the card and give it to the police for checking.

The next day by ten o clock in the morning I was at the police station
Me: Sir I found this card on my dad’s table and one thing I found disturbing was that everything on the table including the card has a weird white powder on it.
Inspector Ghosh: Give it to me let’s have a look at it.
Inspector Ghosh: I can’t figure out what this could. Can you wait for a while I send this card to the forensic department for examination?
Me: Sure sir I’ll wait right here.
Inspector Ghosh calls out to the constable and hands him the packet and asks him to take it to the forensic department for checking.
After an hour or so a constable came in from the lab with the results.
Inspector Ghosh goes through the reports and then looks and me and says:
Inspector Ghosh: This is the same intoxicant we found in your dads drink on the day of his death.
Me: What?
Inspector Ghosh: yes son and this intoxicant is a mixture of a drug called cocaine and powered sleeping pills and when this compound is mixed with alcohol it’s quite lethal.
It was quite a shocking discovery for me and I dint know what to say. I just took the reports from him and left.

Throughout the way I thought to myself” who would want to kill my dad”. It got me thinking of all the possible enemies my dad could have but couldn’t come to a conclusion as to who could go to this level of killing him.

When I reached the drive way of our house I heard loud music playing in the house. As I walked in, I followed the music and it was coming from Allan’s room. I walked towards his room and tried opening the door but it was locked. I knocked at the door and shouted “Allan open the door” .I knocked the door twice but there was no response.
I was wondering what he was doing inside. I decided to peep through the window. I saw two of Allan’s friends and Allan in the room sitting and smoking a pipe. After a few drags one of them said “dude this stuff is damn cool, am buzzing like crazy”. I couldn’t figure out what stuff they were talking about until one of them said the word “Weed”. That’s when I realized that these guys were doing drugs. I had never imagined Allan doing drugs. I didn’t know what to do. I was wondering if I should inform mom about it but was scared if Allan would shout at me .I decided I should talk to Allan first and then tell mom about it. All night I tossed and turned in my bed but couldn’t get sleep. By dawn I was asleep and then woke up at 9 am later in the day.

I got off the bed and went to the kitchen. My mom was in the kitchen preparing breakfast for us. Seeing her face I could say that she also had a restless night and she was crying all the while. Her eyes were swollen and her ever pleasant smile was missing. I had my glass of milk and asked mom;”maa where is Allan” mom: “he’s gone somewhere didn’t tell me where he was going” that’s when I decide that I should go and look around in his room. I walked across the hall and entered his room. His room had a strange smell. I walked around in his room and when I finally came to his study table I found a few music cds .I picked up two of them and sat on his bed. That’s when few sheets of paper fell out from under the mattress. I pulled out a few and saw some research Allan had done on some toxic compounds. On one of them he had circled which was a compound of sleeping pill mixed with cocaine and alcohol. This was the same mixture the cops had found in my dad’s drink the day he died.
While going through the pages I heard the door open and there stood Allan starring me. He walked towards me and stood right in front of me and said “get out of the room”. I refused and stood there and asked for an explanation holding the papers in my hand. He still didn’t bother and said “just get the fuck out of my room”. I said “No” you have to tell me what this research was for. He walked towards the door and shut it and then took the papers from my hand and said” listen it is none of your business what research I do. You get the hell out of my room right now and leave me alone”. I stood there silent for a minute and said” bro tell me what have you been up to. This is the same intoxicant which was found in dads drink the day he died. “Did you mix it in dads drink?

He walked away from me and sat on his chair and stays silent and starred at the sheet of paper which had the formula for the intoxicant. I asked him again “did you mix it “he still didn’t reply.
I raised my voice and asked him “are you going to say something or not or else ill call mom and show them these sheets.
Allan suddenly gets and screams and says” yes I did it! I killed dad!” that bastard deserved it”

I was shocked and tears rolled down my eyes. Allan walked up to me and said “you were right” dad was having an affair with aunt Veronica, last week I overheard a conversation between them over the phone in which dad said that he was planning to stay separate from mom and us. I couldn’t take it and that’s when I decided to kill him. You told me to do this last year itself but I wasn’t sure if you were right but that day when I heard it myself I couldn’t resist it.
Me: Does mom know about this?
Allan: “nope and I don’t want her to know, she won’t be able to take it man. She will kill herself crying”
Allan hugged me and said “bro I hope mom never comes to know about it.”
Me: No bro don’t worry about her she will never come to know about it, that bastard deserved to die”

No comments:

Post a Comment